Monday, June 9, 2008

National Weather Service Alert

I caught a strange weather alert on the radio from the National Weather Service in nearby Lincoln, Illinois the other night. They'd been broadcasting a few of these ones with clipped announcements. I never found out why. It has a comedic effect, though, because the tones are such dramatic attention-grabbers and then the announcement just goes kaput.

And those tones are: Middle C (the short opening and closing tones) and a long note middle-way between G#5 and A5 (played before the announcement--probably some thousands of Hertz).


Link

I wonder, are these tones nationally standardized across weather stations, or do your radio weather alerts sound different than mine? Same computerized voice?

I wasn't sure what picture to post this time, so I went with what I thought was cool: shots of doppler radar stations. Enjoy.






1 comment:

Manx said...

Oh, man. I liked this one a lot!

disclaimer

All original audio recordings on this website are licensed under Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0.
Audio recordings of copyrighted material do not carry this license, as the original authors of the sound retain their copyright.
When using original audio recordings for your own use, please cite the contributor of the sound recording, as well as the URL of this website.