Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Elevator Dings


We have three elevators in the six story building where I work (the elevator lobby pictured is not in my building -- our elevator lobby is festooned with dark red 1970's disco bricks).

I hit the UP button and was surprised when two elevators simultaneously stopped on my floor. The tones of the two elevators were slightly different. One appeared to be a G5, while the other seemed closer to a F#5.



I again tried taking an elevator later in the day and got the F#5 elevator.



A while ago I had actually noticed that the elevator dings were slightly different, on the rare occasions when they would simultaneously ding. By having the tones slightly off from each other, a person will know that more than one elevator is arriving at a given floor. Pretty cool, I think.

I will attempt to pin down the tone of the third elevator in the near future.

No comments:

disclaimer

All original audio recordings on this website are licensed under Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0.
Audio recordings of copyrighted material do not carry this license, as the original authors of the sound retain their copyright.
When using original audio recordings for your own use, please cite the contributor of the sound recording, as well as the URL of this website.